yeet yeet, dev can definitely be beat.
The Dev Can't Beat This
The theme for GMTKJam 2020 was Out of Control. The interpretation was that player movement/keybinds are out of the player's control. Every time you load a level your controls will be shuffled. Try to beat the levels as fast as you can and get the highest score!
The other interpretation that was absolutely not intended was that very early on it became apparent that the game could not be tested by the developer as it was intended to be played. The developer cannot beat this game.
A friend played the game and gave feedback on controls and levels. They beat the game. Therefore at least 1 person can finish this game. Cons of being unable to test your own game:
- All the levels were designed to be beatable using NORMAL controls and no timer. True difficulty of levels was unknown until friend played.
- Development of the game is based on friend's schedule who was never intending to help out with the jam. i.e. short window to get feedback
- All feedback on controls and game feel is based on what they said.
- The game was basically designed for 1 person alone. Hopefully others are like this person and can beat it.
The title may sound like clickbait but the developer of the game actually cannot beat it because:
- They don't play platformers
- Therefore they are very bad at platformers to begin with
- They don't have good hand-eye coordination with a keyboard
- With the keys shifting every level they can't get past the third one
- They are an idiot sandwich
Also you are a cube because its funny to keep it that way. It also may or may not help with judging distances.
Warning: This game might be incredibly frustrating for people like me.
They will shuffle while you play. The valid keys are:
- Left Arrow
- Right Arrow
- Up Arrow
- Down Arrow
- Space Bar
- Developer: https://twitter.com/paigemarincak/
- Tester: My friend Jessica
- Special Thanks: Ben & Cie for letting me bounce ideas off of them
- Tileset: https://s4m-ur4i.itch.io/huge-pixelart-asset-pack
- Fonts: https://twitter.com/castpixel
- SFX: https://jdwasabi.itch.io/8-bit-16-bit-sound-effects-pack
- BGM: https://dos88.itch.io/dos-88-music-library
- Game Engine: Game Maker Studio 2
Score is determined by:
(Seconds given to complete the level - Seconds taken to complete the level) * 2
Then clamped to positive values only.
Note: Seconds taken to complete includes when the level reset. If it took 2+ tries to clear, the score for the level is 0. i.e. The more perfect your run the higher the score.
6 levels @ 30 seconds (180) + 2 levels @ 90 seconds (180) = 360
Being a human ratio = 0.6
360 * 2 * 0.6= 432
Reasonable Max: 432
Tester Recorded Max: 417
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I beat it and the dev couldn't he he then again my score was a whopping 35
Nice work! I finished with a score of 208 on my first attempt, 401 on my second with a strategy of dedicating one hand for movement and the other hand for jumping.
I hate this game, but I also kinda love it.
Wow ! All the movements are randomized ! Oh, what a mess !
Like i could handle left and right on any of the arrowkeys but moving with spacebar was so wierd since spacebar is never left or right normaly.
this is so confusing! xD like 20 times more confusing than terrarias confusion debuff!
Left is right and right is left. Okay, sometimes, up is left or jump is right. A weird game but it deserves some recognition.