this was a fun game. I like how different enemies were affected by your weapon differently. I would have given this a good rating but unfortunately this game is closed to ratings.
This year's GMTK Jam theme was GENRE, but you can’t MECHANIC. The interpretation we went for was three-fold:
- An action game where the player does not have a proper weapon, so our little bear knight only has a shield.
- A metroidvania-like game without power-ups, health drops, etc. All of the skills you need to finish the game at the start are available to you, and your health/shield regenerates over time.
- A non-violent platformer-like game, which is why in the game you can only stun enemies (and move past them) but when you re-enter the room they'll be back and ready to fight.
There are a couple different routes to the prize so please consider replaying it at least once more. There are 21 different rooms to explore.
We recommend downloading and playing the Window version since it has a couple last minute patches which we were unable to upload in time.
- Move: Left/Right arrow keys
- Jump: Space
- Block: Shift
- Throw Shield: Control
- ART: https://twitter.com/LlamaCheez & https://twitter.com/paigemarincak
- PROGRAMMING: https://twitter.com/paigemarincak
- PALETTE: https://lospec.com/palette-list/endesga-32
- MUSIC: 8-bit Dungeon Boss https://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/index.html?collection=29&page=2
- Game Engine: Game Maker Studio 2
- Art: Pyxel Edit, Aesprite
|Authors||Atemly Games, HoleyCheese|
|Genre||Action, Adventure, Platformer|
|Made with||GameMaker: Studio|
|Tags||2D, Action-Adventure, Cute, GameMaker, Game Maker's Toolkit Jam, Pixel Art, Singleplayer|
|Average session||A few minutes|
Note: The windows download contains a last minute bug fix which may happen on the HTML5 version. I wasn't able to update the HTML5 version in time due to internet speeds. I recommend playing that version.
- Bearied Treasure - Post Mortem/Game DesignSep 07, 2018
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I'm glad you enjoyed the game! The reviews/ratings must've been accidentally turned off. I've turned them back on. Thanks for letting me know :)
Hello! I liked your game, it was fun to play, looked really cute and great music! It was a touch too fast for me so I couldn't quite finish it but I still had a fun time either way. I made a let's play of your game here~
Thanks for playing! I'm sorry it was so fast for you and you had trouble, but I'm glad you enjoyed it anyways. By the way, the poleman was indeed to shield up and run at them at the same time. As for the final key, you went to every room except the one with it;;;; lol I'll see about slowing things down a bit;;;; If you're interested, here's a little break down of the rooms: https://atemly-games.itch.io/bearied-treasure/devlog/47639/bearied-treasure-post...
Nice! I really like the sprites - they're very cute, and nicely animated. Music's good too!
Only suggestions I have are the player could be slowed down a bit, and I wish the game used a different control scheme like Z/X/C or A/S/D for the attack/jump/block controls. It's a strain to use the old school ctrl/shift/Space control scheme.
Loved the art! Music is cool too, but I felt that the shield was a weapon and the game seemed as a platformer...
Cute bear! the weapon is bad, but you're not 'without' weapon, like the theme suggests ;-)
I feel like this one only superficially met the criteria. "An action game with no weapon" but you still run up to enemies and tap a button and they temporarily "die". "A metroidvania" but without everything that makes a metroidvania different than a platformer. And it it quite fast, hard to control.
Cute art! Too speedy for a platformer.